· 2000-2010 Visiting Professor, Central St Martins School of Art Design Member of the team for Product Design Course Validation
· 2000-2004 External Examiner Product Design BA, Ravensbourne School of Design & Communication
· 1990-1997 Course Tutor (Part-time) Central St Martins, BA Product Design and MA Industrial Design
· 1980-1983 B.A., Industrial Design: Central Saint Martins School of Art and Design
· 1989-Present CEO, tangerine
Martin was one of the founders of tangerine and under his stewardship has seen it develop into an international strategic design consultancy with offices in South Korea, Brazil and the United Kingdom. His client list includes British Airways, Apple, Samsung, Royal Mint, LG Electronics, B/E Aerospace and Heathrow Express.
A design leader on the international stage, as CEO of tangerine Martin is responsible for the strategic development of the company, ensuring his team are at the forefront of innovation and delivering outstanding work to clients around the world.
Innovation has always been in the DNA of tangerine: co-founder Clive Grinyer was Director of Design and Innovation at the Design Council while Chief Design Officer at Apple, Sir Jonathan Ive, was recruited by tangerine in the early years.
Martin led the team that developed the first lie-flat Business Class bed for British Airways, the revolutionary Sky+ box for BSkyB and a host of other global successes. His company is a major exporter of design with 80% of business coming from outside Europe, notably in emerging economies in Asia and South America.
Martin describes his ambition for tangerine as ‘making consumers happy and businesses profitable’.
· 1987-1989 Moggridge Associates
As Senior Product Designer at ‘interaction design’ pioneer Bill Moggridge’s London office, Martin worked in a wide range of business sectors ranging from high technology, to transport and healthcare. His clients included Apple, Ford, Unisys and Candela Corp.
· 1986-1987 ID Two, San Francisco
With ID Two founder Bill Moggridge, Martin developed a design language for Apple’s new generation of products.
· 1983-1986 Moggridge Associates
Martin’s human-focused design ethos was shaped during his time at this innovative London-based consultancy (now IDEO). He designed a series of car radios for the Ford Motor Company that found their way into 6 million vehicles.
· 2014 tangerine, 25 Insights into Extraordinary Innovation & Design
-Author Antonia Higgs, foreword by Datuk Professor Kimmy YK Choo OBE by Goodman
Awards & Others
Martin’s work has been recognised with numerous awards from around the world, including Red Dot, IF, Queen’s Award, Good Design (Korea) and a DBA Grand Prix Design Effectiveness Award in 2000 for the British Airways Club World Seat.
· 2005-2016 Red Dot Award Juror, Germany & China
· 2015 Appointed Design Council Trustee
· 2015 Keynote Speaker: Aircraft Interiors Conference
· 2012 Icsid Steering Committee Member: World Design Capital Project
· 2008-2012 Icsid Board Member (Two Terms)
· 2000-2010 Visiting Professor, Central St Martins School of Art, UAL
· 2008 Member: Channel 4 ‘Project Vision’
· 2008 Speaker: Innovation and Design Summit
· 2007 Member: UKTI China Design Task-force
· 2005 Advisor to the Design Council on behalf of the Design Business Association
· 2000-2004 External Examinor Product Design BA, Ravensbourne School of Design & Communication
· 2003 Keynote Speaker: Design Innovation conference
· 2002 Member: British Council Trade Mission
· 2001 Member: Design Council Mission
· 1998-1999 Member: Millennium Products Selection Panel, the Design Council
· 1990-1983 Course Tutor (Part Time) Central Saint Martins School of Art and Design